Catalog 2024 - 2025

Military Tuition Assistance Program

(for active duty service members)

Active Duty Tuition Assistance (TA) is one of the many great benefits available to service members, and it is one big reason many incoming recruits opt to join the Armed Forces.  The rules and requirements are different depending on your specific service branch, but wherever you are TA will support you and the goals you’ve set for your education. 

Your Education Service Officer (ESO) is your best resource for assistance in choosing a military-friendly school that meets your educational needs.  He or she can provide you with information, advice and support in navigating the often complicated maze of the college-search process.  

When you meet with your ESO to discuss your college options, you can use the following questions as a guide (with other questions you may have):

1. Is there anyone else on the military installation that attends this school?

Knowing someone else who attends the same school is helpful for several obvious reasons.  It’s nice to have a “familiar face” on campus that can answer your questions about the college, and you may gain a study partner if you are in the same program.

2. Does this school currently or historically have any relationships with the military?

If the answer is yes, you’ll know you’ve found a reliable college that is familiar with and supports service members’ needs and customs.

3. Do this school’s programs fit my goals?

  • Find out about regional and national accreditation for the transferability of any credits.
  • Does the school offer credit for military service?  (Some schools that grant credit for service may also have higher required credit hours for graduation.)
  • What are the attendance policies for this program, and will they fit into my schedule? It’s worth finding out what options there are for service members, especially what the distance learning and online possibilities are. 
  • Will the program lead me in the direction I want to go either during my service or after I separate from the service?

Tuition Assistance is handled in the Accounts Receivable department at Indian River State College.  You can contact them at 772-462-7184 for information on payment of your tuition.